♣ ♣ ♣
For those of you who know my husband, Michael, his Birthday Dinner choice comes as no surprise! Michael loves meat & a great roast beef sits at the top of his meat wish list. This recipe from Saveur really does produce a perfect roast beef…
For tonight’s dinner I decided to add a mushroom sauce. I recently made Prosciutto-Stuffed Chicken with Mushroom Sauce & we all agreed that the sauce made the dish. I adapted the sauce from that recipe to better complement the roast beef.
Mushroom Sauce for Roast Beef
- 4 cups mixed mushrooms, chopped into small pieces
- 2 cups Beef Broth
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Salt & pepper to taste
Remove finished roast beef to a cutting board to rest for 15 minutes before slicing. While the meat rests, make the mushroom sauce…
- In a small dish, using a fork to blend, mix the butter & flour until fully combined…set aside.
- Set roasting pan (with drippings) over medium-high heat and melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Add mushrooms and cook until they are golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt & pepper. Add broth and vinegar, bringing to a simmer. Gradually whisk in butter/flour mixture, stirring constantly, until desired thickness is achieved.
- Drizzle mushroom sauce over roast beef slices.
This dressing recipe, from Mark Stark (Willi’s Seafood, Healdsburg, CA), makes a wonderful dip for fresh cut veggies or, as we are having tonight, bistro fries. I lived in Healdsburg for several years and enjoyed (actually became addicted to) the garlic fries with this dip served up at Willi’s. The recipe for the fries is so simple & so is the dip…
I am NOT a baker (all things “dough” SCARE me!) but, for my husband, I decided to give it my best shot. He generally does not like sweets, but he has a soft spot for caramel & chocolate, occasionally…
Take a look at my 3-layer, HOMEMADE devil’s food chocolate cake with caramel buttercream.. (look…I think there is a halo encircling that precious little cake)
Happy Birthday Sweetie!